Out of all the Chicago neighborhoods, the Gold Coast might be considered the most elegant and chic. With luxury homes ranging from historic mansions to graceful modern high rises, the neighborhood’s development began in 1882 when ground was broken for the famous Palmer Mansion. With the exclusive shops of Oak Street, many upscale restaurants and lounges, and the north end of the popular Magnificent Mile, there are many reasons to purchase Gold Coast Chicago real estate, and here are the top five.
1. It’s a Retail Paradise – The action begins on Michigan Avenue and extends north down Oak Street up to Rush and Division. Home to dozens of unique shops and exclusive boutiques that carry high end labels like Chanel, Hermes, Yves St. Laurent, Louis Vuitton, and more, this area is popular with locals and tourists alike – and the condos and co-ops located here are just as luxurious as the retailers that lend the neighborhood even more prestige.
2. Decadent Dining – Like the fashionable labels that call Chicago’s Gold Coast home, the dining options in this part of the city are simply top of the line. The abundance of choices make this part of the city a delicious place to be, with luxe steakhouses like Gibson’s and Morton’s, cozy brunch spots like the Pancake House, and new favorites, such as Table 52 and Trader Vic’s.
3. See & Be Seen – The Gold Coast is full of nightlife and upscale bars where the city’s beautiful people go to see and be seen. Depending on your mood, you can head to a trendy club and dance the night away or sip a few drinks with close friends at a lively piano bar. Another great thing about the Gold Coast is its central location, which means that the downtown theaters, the casual pubs and patios of the North Side, and the hipster hangouts of Bucktown are only a quick cab ride away.
4. The Great Outdoors – Even in the heart of the city, Chicago residents can enjoy the great outdoors, and the Gold Coast is no exception to this rule. Oak Street Beach is a popular destination on hot summer days as well as the neighborhood’s many charming parks.
5. Artistic Architecture – Last but not least, the fifth reason to choose the Gold Coast for your Chicago home is its impressive architecture. With gorgeous restored brownstones and greystones on attractive tree-lined streets, this section of the city is home to some picture-perfect Chicago condos, townhomes, and other real estate. There are options to suit every need and style, from newly constructed high rise buildings with every imaginable amenity (state of the art fitness centers, swimming pools, rooftop decks, and more) to vintage properties with charming details and elegant finishes.
Thanks to all of these reasons and more, the Gold Coast is an ideal location for your Chicago home, especially if you enjoy classic architecture mixed with modern luxury.